9 September 2009

Scott on James's excel goodness with dwarves

James:
It needs to be said sometimes: damn I'm good.

After years of wondering I finally applied myself to working out how to make a column in an Excel spreadsheet automatically number itself so that a print-out will have row numbers, and have those row numbers appear automatically when new rows are added and (most importantly) not break when a row is deleted.

It took me ten minutes. I suppose I just got lucky on the Google searches and Excel help searches.

Amusingly, my solution is much better than Microsoft's official one, which breaks when you insert or delete rows in the middle of the list.

So yeah, I rock. I am Captain Excel!

Scott:
Indeed, you are an excel god. Which means, of course, I'm going to pester you even more with inane questions.

James:
I can tell you how to automatically number rows. :D

Scott:
Which i actually need to know since I've been tasked with revising the monster spreadsheet I built for the cancellations team 2 years ago

Michelle:
see - there is a purpose to James going off and learning things about Excel

Scott:
Indeedle. Now can he tell me why the previous updater of my once glorious spreadsheet decided to obscene things to it?

James:
Foetal alcohol syndrome?

Michelle:
whoever it was was an idiot

Scott:
Correct! A winner is you! George, what prize is our lucky contestant winning tonight?

Thank you Alfred, tonight's lucky winner a small psychotic angry dwarf that will stare balefully at him from under his desk while he works and occasionally bite his PC power cable.

James:
I'll come back next week and see if I can win something that won't cause nightmares.

Michelle:
I knew we couldn't keep you off dwarves for long

Scott:
I'm going to turn it into an internet meme

James:
It will be huge, and dwarf all others...

Scott:
*canned audience laughter* Well you can certainly try but we all know how likely that's going to happen on Shub-Niggurath's Wheel of Soul Destroying Torment, Australia's favourite quiz show!

James:
"AAAAAaaaAAAAaAAArgh!!! Oh god make it stop! Make it stoooooop!!!"
"...is that your final answer?"

No comments: